I currently build and maintain the website and online education platform
for the Himalayan Institute, a nonprofit and leader in yoga, meditation,
and holistic health. I manage the web team, which works closely with the
marketing team to deploy our message of inspiration, education, and
- Current Employment
Himalayan InstituteWeb Development Manager—2017 July to Present
Responsible for managing the web team within Creative Services.
Setting the roadmap; defining & maintaining the scope and timeline
of multiple simultaneous projects while continuing to execute
In this role, I answer the following questions on a daily basis:
- What are the team's priorities? How do they fit in the broader scope of the organization?
- What are our best practices for team communication and collaboration?
- What resources does my team need and are those resources available?
- What are our team's values?
- How do we best serve our customers, both internal and external?
- What is the range and quality of products we offer?
- What skills do we consider to be core competencies?
- What role does web technology play in the future of the broader organization? How do we achieve that vision incrementally while continuing to address the business's daily operational needs?
Specific responsibilities include:
- Developing job descriptions, recruiting, interviewing, and hiring
- Managing and serving direct reports
- Product ownership, project management, and strategic planning
- Establishing best practices, quality standards, and working methodologies
- Budgeting and securing technical resources
- Creation & maintenance of membership program netting ~$10k/mo
- Manage redesign of Himalayan Institute Online Store
- Secure $7,000/year in cloud services grants and establish best practices for provisioning, configuration, deployment, and security
- Ensure PCI DSS compliance using SAQ A-EP
- Technical Skills
Technologies with which I am most proficient, use daily
- Backend: Wordpress/PHP, Go (Golang), HTTP, MySQL
- DevOps: Ansible, Docker, Terraform, Ubuntu on AWS & Azure, Haproxy, Caddy
- For Literally Every Project: Git, Bash, Markdown
- Other Noteworthy: Consul, Vault, OAS 2
Technologies I use professionally but not at my current job
Ruby, PostgreSQL, Redis, Nginx, Upstart, Rbenv, Rspec, Rack,
Sinatra, Rails, Chef, & Awk
Technologies I have used professionally but not recently
Capistrano, Python, RabbitMQ, SmartOS, Joyent/SDC, ELK, & Berkshelf
Technologies I have learned but use infrequently
C, Objective-C, Java, & Oracle SQL
- Speaking Engagements
Dockercon Europe—December 2014, Amsterdam
"doing the old thing the new way"
- Work Experience
Himalayan InstituteLead Developer—2015 Oct to Present
Responsible for building and maintaining the website and online education platform.
- Evaluation, budgeting, and implementation of small-business software solutions
- Custom software creation and deployment using Go, Ansible, Terraform, & Docker
- Define customer support policies, manage support ticketing system
Other responsibilities include copy writing and editing, wireframing,
vendor selection and management, and project management.
Apple Inc.Software Engineer—7 months
- Platform engineering, infrastructure deployment & automation for Maps
- Full-stack development using Rails, Sinatra, AngularJS, PostgreSQL, and Redis
ModCloth, Inc. Software Engineer—1 year
- Developer tools and continuous delivery pipeline
- Deployment & infrastructure automation using Docker and Ansible
- Go (Golang), Bash, Ruby
- Spoke at Dockercon Europe in December 2014
ModCloth, Inc. Associate Software Engineer—1 year, 4 months
- Server-side applications and web services using Ruby, JRuby, Rails, RSpec, & Go
- Installation, configuration, and operation of PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis, Memcached, & RabbitMQ
- Provisioning, administration, & automation, using Chef, of SmartOS and Ubuntu VMs on Joyent
- Bash scripting
Kemists Software Engineer—4 months
- Strategic planning and rapid business development
- Administration of Google AdWords account
Fireman Creative Web Development Intern—5 months
- Full-stack web development building websites for small business customers
- Website creation using WordPress, PHP, LESS, jQuery, and MySQL
- Built http://heritageseeds.org/
Apple Inc.Specialist, Expert—3 years
- Leading store sales, facilitating daily store operations
- Providing assistance for new store openings and other special events
- Mentoring new-hires
University of Pittsburgh
BS, Computer Science with Honors 2011 Jan to 2012 Apr
BA, Politics & Philosophy 2007 Aug to 2010 Aug